Sunday, October 18, 2009

Design 2.0: Design what?

Web 2.0 … The Machine is Us/ing Us (Michael Wesch)

I would like to think that you have heard of Web2.0 technologies. If you haven’t, that’s ok. Do a quick google and read about Web 2.0 technologies. You may also want to read about ‘Learning 2.0′, ‘Teaching 2.0′ and ‘Classroom 2.0′. With all these, what would ‘Design 2.0′ be?

From print-based text where you move your eyes TO moving text (with less eye movement in reading perhaps?), what kind of design is 2.0 for CONTENT and CONTEXT?

30 comments:

  1. Form is now separated from content. We can do so many things to jazz up the way our webpages look nowadays. Web 2.0 is linking people. Design 2.0 is the height of which design can occur, where individuals can do, essentially, anything they could ever want to their web pages. Design 2.0 links the user with their imagination, in order to project their creativity onto the web. Content is easier to find than ever, and context is more relevant to the user than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Web 2.0 has made the internet another world. I recall the internet in the early 90's, being difficult to navigate through and impossible to change. Today's internet is as easy to access, change, and create upon as everyday person to person communication. A person can express their ideas countless ways on the web. Before Web 2.0 information was received on the internet as they are in books. There was letters on pages. Today information is accompanied by the authors creativity. The two are intertwined. Whatever the author feels like accompaning his work with, he can. Charts, graphs, drawings, etc. are easily brought together on pages to make the learning experience more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Internet now a day is really simple because of Web 2.0, which allow us to have easy access throughout the web. This helps us create our personal website to communicate and interact with others. This makes it easier to share our information and ideas with people around the world. It is up to the author to determine what information will be put on the page. Because of Web 2.0 students are now able to create Blogs which makes it really simple for students to communicate with each other. We can easily view someone else’s views and our information is there too for others to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Design 2.0 allows us to bring out our creativity onto a web page. Since form and content are separated, this is made easier for us to do. I like the point that the video made, saying it is linking people together. This is true, because we all can have a testimony for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not really into technology that much, not to say that i don't need or use it, i just don't maximize the use of the internet. I agree that web 2.0 has made it easier for people to be linked together, for people to express themselves more through blogs, facebook, flickr and many other outlets. Design 2.0 will expand imagination further, if form and content are separated i can only imagine how the full potential of our creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Web 2.0 really has brought us together. We are not able to share ideas simply by linking up within the web. Anybody today can create a profile that can be seen by anyone. This allows us also to communicate with each other, which will facilitate higher education.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Web 2.0 gives people an option. There are so many different ways to communicate and collaborate with people around the world. Its east to make a blog account and have people read what you think. Web 2.0 is a great way for the online environment to come together and share their ideas with each other. Technology is advancing everyday. Education systems have been benefiting from web 2.0. With all the online resources, it makes it easier for students to obtain the information needed for school work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Web 2.0 allows the everyday user to put his or her own unique fingerprint on the internet. An individual can feel a sense of ownership and thus want to utilize the resources provided by the web because he or she has put something of his or her own into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Web 2.0 is great but a 2-edged sword. Everyday users create wonderful things but also crowd the internet with nonsense and incorrect info.

    With progress comes headaches we're probably willing to live with.

    Video was creative but moved to fast for me...may be showing my age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Web 2.0 has not only made the web easier to access but has also made the web more creative and more personal. Now everywhere you look you see a unique, personal edge to everything. You can link things together, add a creative twist, and share with everyone else around you. It's one big world of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Web 2.0 has its negatives and positives. I think it is bad because there is so much junk out there on the internet that pops up all the time, but there is also TONS of very useful and educational information out there for anyone to access. Also, web 2.0 has really opened up another way for us to reach out to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Times are changing and we have to change with them. I love being able to click on something and have an explanation pop up. I love clicking from link to link in an effort to understand and I'm one of the older students. I can't wait to see where technology and the internet will take us next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. technology has come along way, but still has miles to go. Web 2.0 is great it connects people on a level that was never available before, but then has its downside by teens and other people misusing the system. It makes learning and finding information instantaneous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Students today are begging teachers to update their lessons, teachers as well need to teach students for their future not for the teacher's past.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This video was extremely well done. I really enjoy the use of all of the wording and the changing of screens, really kept me paying attention. It shows the new version of the internet, not only how it is structured but also the many uses and felxibity of all the applications. It shows us how the internet has changed from a source of infromation, to a way of everyone actually sharing information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Web 2.0 has changed many aspects of the internet in this days. What I really like about Web 2.0 is that you can create and update information on the world web just by a click. One of the things that I don't like about Web 2.0 is that anyone can upload nonsense information in the interner that sometimes it's not safe to go in all the sites that you might found with information you are looking because it is not reliable. But, I think for education purposes it's very good resourse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Web 2.0 is such a game changer and for the better. I remember getting online back in the late nineties and moving at a snail's pace. Today with HTML, linking, social networking, and everything in between we are moving at such an exponential pace. When you think about how far things have come from ten years ago with dial-up modems to taking our tablets with us today and just connecting instantly, it's mind boggling. I think our whole concept of learning in the next ten years is going to change very drastically and we will see things continue to become "connected."

    I find myself reading more and more online and not out of books or magazines. And increasingly so, as everyone gets online, we are learning more and more as everyone shares with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Web 2.0 is great. Being that I am 26 and did not grow on being able to get on the internet all the time and did not even have a computer that I was allowed to use. I would go to my friends and we would get kicked off the internet every time the phone rang. It is amazing how much things have changed in the last 10-15 years. Now you can get on the internet and get the most up to date news. I read almost anything on the internet. There is no reason to buy a the newspaper when it is right there on your computer. I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the internet in the next 10-15 years. Will we think Web 2.0 is old school?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Web 2.0 to me is absolutely great!!! The internet today has definately changes even in the last 10 years. Just as all of the technology advances that we have also had in out day in age today. Internet and web 2.0 aloow us as users to create blogs, webpages and so much more that we can use on a day to day basis. I truely do not know what I would do without the internet, it is so useful and is easily accessable everywhere I go and with everything I do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I recall correctly content is the what, and context is the how. Web 2.0 simply maximizes content, by incorporating new context. Web 1.0 was mainly a bridge for people to exhchange ideas through text. Web 2.0 allows people to interact in real time. Essentially Web 2.0 provides a way for people to creatively communicate online through new forms of media including, video, chatting, and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's interesting to see where we are at today as opposed to just 10 years ago. Technology is evolving because we are evolving. Web 2.0 is great because instead of using complicated codes to upload and share information we can now create and share things entirely on our own meaning we don't have to create long, complicated codes to get our point across. The machine does it for us. For example, we can blog and share information or we can use websites such as Flickr to upload and share pictures. However, I thought it was interesting how Dr. Wesch brought up things such as privacy and copyrights at the end of his video. It made me think even though Web 2.0 is wonderful and connects people it can also be damaging at the same time. And sometimes we might not even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Web 2.0 has changed the way we use the Internet. It has made the Internet a tool that you can interact with not just look at. I think it is amazing at all the things that are available with just a click but I also think it is incredibly scary. One of the points mentioned in the video is that we need to rethink identity. With all of the linking that Internet can do from site to site, tagging images, publishing profiles, etc. I think people need to be aware of all the information that they are putting out for the world. In a few clicks you can find out a plethora of information on someone – date of birth, high school information, hobbies, addresses, phone numbers, maiden names, information on their parents, the list can go on and on. All of these things can be used for identity theft, fraud, scams and just plan creepy people who get off on looking into others peoples lives. The web is a terrific thing but can be pretty scary if you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was unfamiliar with the term Web 2.0 until this video, although I have unknowingly used it many times. I love the internet and all that it offers but I am always concerned about my internet footprint. I’m a private person and appreciate that most sites give you privacy options. I cannot imagine returning to life before the internet and can’t wait to see what the next few years brings us in technological advances.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In the first webpages, html content and form went hand in hand, but now, with xml, content and form can be separate, allowing us to post video, text, and pictures on sites like You Tube, blog sites, even Facebook. XML is the reason why we are able to have online classes with all of the different components that they have such as blogging, discussions, and videos. I think the video showed how the internet has changed since it first began and how far it has come and how much more interaction is allowed. It also showed how the internet has become something everyone can understand and work with, not just computer programmers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny that I heard this clip today as I was looking at the top of the computer that I am using which has the latest version of everything and it has a symbol that I did not recognize. I highlighted over it and it is a compatability view for browsers that use older browsers. I feel like this goes to show how quick technology is changing and how new technology has to make adaptations for old technology.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. before this class I had never heard the term "web 2.0" and I work at Microsoft. however the concept is something I work with every day. I just hadn't heard it called "Web 2.0". As the video touches on briefly at the end, the difficulty of this new technology is rethinking things like privacy, security, etc. unfortunately to gain a little you have to give a little.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Design 2.0 I believe is about navigation. When I think about designing simplicity comes to mind. What I mean is it should be easy to navigate upon first viewing. So by having a good design that incorporates all the 2.0 skills is a 2.0 design.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think to most who don't create HTML or XML things 2.0 often means the latest and the greatest. It's about the interaction, it's about your contribution to the Web, (because yes, the world is always going to be one blog shy of perfection.) Design 2.0 would be the next step, the next big leap of web design. After having created and HTML page for another class and not having a good time of it, I can for sure that I wont be a contributing factor to design 2.0! Leavin' it to those who really get it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This video shows how web 2.0 can be used in this age to promote digital creativity. The author uses the flowing text and many other creative digital styles to bring out various ideas and at times to even ask a question. The idea that was well promoted is that of context and not just text. Combined with context, text in present day can become a digital master piece with web 2.0 bridging a age old gap.

    ReplyDelete